Students who complete a biotechnology course will be able to understand and explain the operations that take place in an industrial biotechnology setting, perform many of these operations, and assess and critique the extent to which they are meeting or exceeding the standards appropriate to these activities.
Degree in Biotechnology:
Students completing the Associate of Science Degree in Biotechnology will be able to:
- Identify the chronological sequence of steps needed to bring a biotechnology product from discovery to market.
- Explain the operations that take place in an industrial biotechnology setting.
- Assess and critique the extent to which they are meeting or exceeding the standards appropriate to biotechnology activities.
Biotechnology Certificate of Achievement:
Students completing the Certificate of Achievement in Biotechnology will be able to:
- Successfully culture cells and purify product produced by such cell cultures.
Manufacturing Operator Certificate of Achievement:
Students completing the Certificate of Achievement in Biotechnology Manufacturing Operators will be able to:
- Work successfully in a clean room environment and understand Quality Control and Validation principles.
Outcomes Assessment Results (Capstone Course Outcomes)
Career Pathways and Gainful Employment Disclosures
Biotechnology Research & Development
Biotechnology is a rapidly growing industry with projections for continued growth and exciting opportunities for employment. The applications of biotechnology include pharmaceuticals, agriculture, the diagnosis and treatment of disease, vaccines, forensics, and bioremediation. Moorpark College's biotechnology program has a comprehensive curriculum in bio-manufacturing. This program is designed in consultation with members of local industry (Baxter Healthcare Corporation, AMGEN Corporation, and others) to provide the essential technical experiences and training needed for this thriving field. The curriculum balances basic science courses with practical laboratory applications.