An internship is a good opportunity for students to learn new skills and gain practical experience in the workplace. The focus of an internship is to perform work-related tasks and projects related to your major or occupational goal.
Here is what an internship can do for you...
- Allow you to explore careers…try out a discipline or two.
- Improve your college performance…classroom curriculum can be more meaningful when it relates to your internship
- Provide employment advantages…you will have business references and contacts; you might earn a higher salary since you will already have job experience; and sometimes an internship can lead to a job!
- Give you a head start into your field…pre-existing work experience can set you apart from other recent grads in the competitive job market.
There are paid and unpaid internships, both potentially providing you the opportunity to earn college credit. For information on the internship process, please visit the Career Transfer Center in Fountain Hall 110.
Summer 2016 Internships
*APPLICATIONS ARE NO LONGER BEING ACCEPTED. The deadline to apply was Friday, May 27.
**IMPORTANT DATES AND DEADLINES FOR SUMMER INTERNS**
Learning objective and Employer Letter: these WERE due Friday, June 17, 2016. Your Faculty Advisor and your Internship Supervisor sign your learning objectives contract and your supervisor signs the Employer Letter.
Final Paperwork: DUE Friday, August 5, 2016
Internship hours: Can be accumulated from Monday, May 23rd to Thursday, August 4th.
Fall 2016 Internships
**APPLICATIONS FOR FALL INTERNSHIPS ARE NOW BEING ACCEPTED**
If you are interested in doing an internship, start by completing a new Internship Contract and submit it to the Career Transfer Center for approval. You can also find all necessary Internship Forms on the Career Center website as well.
- You must be in good academic standing by having a GPA of 2.0 or above.
- You must have taken or be taking at least one course in the major or career field at Moorpark College.
- You must have declared a major or internship discipline at Moorpark College.
- You must receive approvals from both the Internship Office and a Faculty Advisor.
- You must be a continuing student (not matriculated) at a 2-year or 4-year educational institution.
- Complete an Internship Contract and submit a printed copy to the Career Transfer Center by the deadline for approval.
- Once approved, go to the Career Transfer Center to get a CRN.
- Register for the class following the instruction you receive from the Career Transfer Center.
- Pay the fees the day you register.
- You MUST attend an Internship Orientation.
- You receive 1 credit for 60 hours of an unpaid internship or 1 credit for 75 hours of a paid internship.
- You may earn up to 4 credits per semester.
- You may earn up to 16 credits total.
- Internships are graded and count towards your AA/AS degree.
- Internships count as elective credits for CSU schools.
- You must make an appointment with the Career Transfer Center for the one-hour orientation.
- You must develop three learning objectives, which must involve new or expanded learning during the internship.
- You must meet with your Faculty Advisor at least two times during your internship to discuss your progress and get your final evaluation and grade.
- You must invite your Faculty Advisor to your Internship Job Site one time.
- You must keep track of your Faculty Advisor consultations and site visits on the Consultation Record, and have your Faculty Advisor sign it.
- You must consult with your Faculty Advisor about a paper or project to be completed.
- You must have both your Faculty Advisor and your Internship Supervisor sign both your Learning Objectives and Employer Letter.
- You must turn in your Learning Objectives, Timesheet, Consultation Record, Final Project and Student Evaluation form to the Internship Office at the end of your internship to receive a grade.
FALL 2016 INTERNSHIP ORIENTATIONS **REQUIRED**
Mandatory orientation for students who have internship contracts turned in and approved by the Career Transfer Center
Please RSVP in the CTC (FH 110)
|8/25/16 (Thurs)||4:30-6:30pm||FH 220|
|9/6/16 (Tues)||5:30-7:30pm||FH 220|
|9/14/16 (Weds)||4:30-6:30pm||FH 219|
If you have questions, visit the Career Transfer Center in Fountain Hall 110 or call (805) 378-1536 to make an appointment.
Moorpark College is committed to providing equal opportunities to students, employees and the public regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or veteran status.