Resources for current student organizations

This page is intended to help current student organizations successfully hold meetings and host events, among other activities. For more information on the guidelines or processes outlined in this page, visit the Student Activities Office, located in Campus Center (across from the Bookstore), or please contact either the ASMC Director of Student Organizations or the Moorpark College Student Activities Specialist Kristen Robinson at

There's a lot of important information on this page! While we recommend club student leaders and club presidents review the page in its entirety, you may wish to click on a quick link in the table below to quickly access information about one of these key topics:

Expectations of clubs Reserving spaces Food policies
Inviting speakers Showing movies/films Advertising on campus
Field trips/excursions Requesting funding Fundraising/donations
Trust accounts Petty cash guidelines Purchasing items
Filming on campus Renewing your club Additional resources





Expectations of student organizations

To be considered an official Moorpark College student organization and receive any associated benefits, clubs must:The Moorpark College FLeX Club leads its annual fitness challenge event.

  • Be formally recognized by the ASMC Board of Directors. All student organizations must be formally recognized by the Board of Directors in order to receive the benefits offered by ASMC. Benefits include: use of the college name in all publicity; using college facilities for meetings, events, or activities; and requesting funds from ASMC through the Programming Committee.

  • Participate in Inter-Club Council meetings. Formally recognized student organizations are automatically considered a part of the Inter-Club Council (ICC). The ICC will serve as the representative body to coordinate and promote communication and cooperation among student organizations on campus. The ICC is composed of officers and a voting representative from each student organization, and it is required that a representative from each club attend the monthly ICC meetings, which are chaired by the ASMC Director of Student Organizations. Visit the ASMC Board of Directors page for more information about the ICC.

  • Track your meetings. Take minutes each meeting and collect roll for all members in attendance at each meeting, and provide that information to the ASMC Director of Student Organizations. Clubs should also provide the Director of Student Organizations with scheduled meeting times so this information can be made available on the MC website.

  • Submit your renewal forms on time! Organizations that are active in 2017-2018 and wish to continue in the 2018-2019 academic year must submit the required renewal paperwork by Friday, June 1, 2018. See the "Renewing a current student organization" section below for instructions.

[Back to top]


Reserving spaces for on-campus activities

Unless otherwise stated on the form, please submit completed facility request forms to the Student Activities Office for review at least three weeks in advance of your meeting, event, or activity. The Student Activities Office is located in the Campus Center, across from the Bookstore.

Please see the following sections if you wish to purchase items, rent equipment, or pay speakers/performers for your on-campus activities. Renting equipment, paying for services, or providing honorariums to speakers can take at least three weeks to process. Please plan accordingly. Requisition forms for any payment processing will not be accepted if they are not received at least three weeks in advance of the date payment is needed.

When requesting to reserve a space for your meeting or activity, please note that the only indoor space on the Moorpark College campus that allows for the service of food is the Campus Center Conference Room. Please request this space on the In-House Facility Use form if you wish to provide food for your club and wish to use an indoor meeting room.Questions about the In-House, District, or Performing Arts Center Facility Use forms may be directed to Kristen Robinson at

[Back to top]


Providing food at meetings or events

Student organizations must abide by Moorpark College's Food Safety Regulations when providing food to its club members or to the broader MC community. Regulations differ slightly, depending on if the meeting or event is a public/community event (advertised off campus, including social media, and is open to anyone/everyone can attend; examples might include fairs or festivals; grand openings, give-away events, or any other event that is designed to increase, celebrate, or promote a business is not a community event) or a private event (specific/restricted guest list in which only those individuals on the list may attend the event).

Public/community events

For public/community events that have been advertised, are held in a public place, or the general public is invited to attend AND the event meets the definition of a public/community event, then the event is to be regulated and requires a permit. The event organizer must apply for a permit from the Ventura County Environmental Health Division (VC EHD) at least 45 days before the event in which food vendors will be present and will be preparing and selling food to the public. The application form must be signed by a Temporary Food Facility-Certified Moorpark College staff person, and it must be submitted to the College Business Services Office no less than 45 days before your event in order to ensure approval from the VC EHD to have food at your event.

Public/community events that feature food often include either a Mobile Food Facility (MFF; a permitted vehicle, like food trucks or food carts) or a Temporary Food Facility (TFF; a food booth that sells or gives away food or drinks). MFFs that possess a current annual health permit issued by VC EHD do not require the submission of a TFF application. TFFs that give away food or drinks from a temporary structure or a non-permitted facility such as a school or park kitchen need to submit a TFF application. TFF applications and instructions can be found on the VC EHD website.

Private events or meetings

For private events, any club, class, or employee group may serve food prepared at home or purchased from an eatery (example: Costco pizza) and will not have to apply for a Health Permit if their event is not open to the public and has a specific guest list with names (it cannot be listed as "invitee & guest"--we need real names here, people!). If food and drink are being donated, and there is absolutely no cost to the club, then no Health Permit is required. If the student club uses a VC EHD-permitted Mobile Food Facility for their event, the club would not need to purchase a Health Permit for its event. Even if a permit is not needed, the College Business Services Office must still be notified of the event no less than 30 days in advance.

Please see Lynda Dobson ( in the Administration Building if you have additional questions or if you would like to receive the required paperwork for bringing food trucks on to campus, or for catering a public event. Please scroll down to the "Petty Cash" section to learn about how to access funds from your organization's trust account to purchase food and other items for meetings.

[Back to top]


Inviting speakers, presenters, or performers to campus

While clubs will often invite Moorpark College faculty, staff, or students to speak or perform for their organization, often clubs will wish to invite someone from off-campus or outside of the VCCCD to participate in an activity hosted by their members. This is welcomed, but it can take a few weeks to process the required paperwork listed below if the invited guest is receiving an honorarium (i.e., payment for their involvement in your activity), so please plan accordingly!

Paperwork to process at least three weeks in advance of presentation or performance:

  1. An In-House Facility Use Form to reserve your desired location on your specified date and time
  2. A requisition form for approval of visit by speaker or performer (hard-copy only; available in the Student Activities Office in the Campus Center or Fiscal Services in the Administration Building) 
  3. Completed Vendor Set-up Packet to add the speaker or performer into the VCCCD system to issue payment
  4. Completed Invoice For Services Rendered (form #14011); form to be signed by speaker or performer the day of the event and submitted to Fiscal Services to finalize payment

Please note that direct payments of up to $2,000 may be processed by following the steps above. Any payments of $2,000.01 and above also require a Purchase Order.

[Back to top]


Public viewing of movies/films

Many student organizations will opt to show movies as part of either club meetings or as part of club events or activities. Organizations must receive a license authorizing the "public performance" of a movie, even if they are bringing in a personal copy of the film or showing it from a personal Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu account. Some examples of what constitutes a public performance include showing a film/movie in places open to the public or showing the film/movie to certain groups of people gathered in areas not open to the public (like student organization meeting spaces). Organizations are required to purchase a license even if they are not advertising the event to the public or charging admission to watch it. An exception to this rule is if a teacher is in attendance and the showing of the film takes place in a classroom setting, and the movie is used as part of the curriculum being taught.
Showing the film to your club participants or other members of the community without obtaining a license is illegal and can potentially result in all parties involved (students, organization, and college) receiving a $50,000 fine, per the Copyright Act. License costs may vary depending on the popularity of the film and the number of people anticipated to watch it. Moorpark College has worked with Swank Motion Picture, Inc. for licenses in the past ( A requisition form must be submitted to pay for a movie license.

[Back to top]


Advertising your club's event or activity

Student organizations can advertise their club's meetings, events, or activities by posting flyers in designated posting places (see the posting requirements form for details on where you can display these ads). Students can also submit an Electronic Communications Submission to request that their club be advertised on the Moorpark College marquee, LCD screens, and/or MyVCCCD portal. Students can have color flyers mass-produced with funds from their club trust account funds by submitting a Publications Request to the Moorpark College Print Shop.
Please note that any flyers or posters that are displayed on the Moorpark College campus can only be hung up with the use of blue painters tape. Rolls of this tape can be borrowed from the Student Activities Office (located in the Campus Center, across from the MC Bookstore). Printed materials may be posted in the following areas on campus:
  • On all general-use bulletin boards located on or inside campus buildings
  • Along the sides of the concrete walkway bridges on Raider Walk
  • Along the walkway between the Physical Science (PS) building and the Life Science, Mathematics, Computer Science (LMC) Building

Advertisements will be taken down on the last working day of the month.

As a registered student organization, you can also use chalking as a way to advertise for your event. Drawings cannot be inappropriate, destructive, or harmful in any way. Writing must remain on asphalt and concrete walkways and cannot go on any vertical surface (e.g., buildings, signs, walls, pillars, posts, benches, planters, doors, windows, fountains, gates, retaining walls, bridges, trash receptacles, steps, light posts, posters, tables, trees, or other such item). Chalk used must be water-soluble and erasable; spray chalk or grease chalk is prohibited. (Chalking guidelines borrowed from the Rutgers University Student Involvement page, found on


Off-campus field trips or excursions

If you are planning an off-campus field trip for your club, you must submit the Field Trip Excursion Request form for the group, and each student participant must fill out the Student Participation Form. If you are not providing transportation to the activity, each participant will need to also submit a Non-District Transportation Notice. If you are providing transportation but a student opts to provide their own ride, that student must submit a Personal Transportation Waiver form. Travel forms are due at least two weeks in advance of the field trip to the Student Activities Office in the Campus Center. Below are the forms that are most commonly required for off-campus excursions. For a comprehensive overview of student travel, please review the VCCCD Risk Management Department's Student Travel, Field Trip and Excursions Procedures and Forms manual.

[Back to top]


Requesting funding from the ASMC Board of Directors

Formally recognized Moorpark College student organizations or departments can request funding for their student-centered activities or events through the ASMC Programming Committee. (Learn more about the students serving on the Programming Committee by visiting the ASMC Board of Directors page.) The Application for Funding should be submitted to the ASMC Director of Campus Events at least two weeks before the funds are needed in order for the Programming Committee to meet and for the money to be transferred, if approved.

[Back to top]


Fundraising for your student organization

Some types of fundraising are permissible, but any fundraising ideas must be vetted and approved by Moorpark College's Student Activities Office before you implement them: (805) 553-4976 or This vetting is required for liability purposes. The Student Activities Office is located in the Campus Center, across from the MC Bookstore. Clubs must have a agency trust account already in place before fundraising takes place. Please see the "Setting up or changing your club's trust account" section below for additional information.

Types of fundraising that may be permissible:

  • Teaming up with a local eatery to have a percentage of their sales for a day go to your organization
  • Collecting entry or admission fees for events such as fun runs or walks, performances or concerts, speakers or conferences, or other things of this nature, especially if there are door prizes or giveaways awarded to individuals present
  • Limited selling of nonperishable foods or goods
  • Receiving event sponsorships from local businesses or receiving donations of goods or services in kind from local businesses (some restrictions may apply)

Types of fundraising that are NOT permitted:

  • Car washes
  • GoFundMe accounts
  • Events that involve an element of chance like a casino night or card tournament
  • Signing contracts that include ongoing funding agreements on behalf of the Ventura County Community College District, Moorpark College, or a Moorpark College-sponsored student organization
  • Using online services such as PayPal or Venmo to receive funds for your club

All cash and check funds raised by clubs must be deposited into the organization's trust account at the Student Business Office at the earliest time possible. The Student Activities Office has cash boxes available for loan to clubs that wish to security collect funds the day of an event. In addition to fundraising, student organizations can submit a Funding Application to receive financial support from the Programming Committee (see "Requesting funds from ASMC" section above).

If an individual or outside organization wishes to make a financial donation to your club, they may do so by writing a check out to "Moorpark College" and writing the club's name in the Memo line.

Please contact the MC Student Activities Office with any questions regarding fundraising or receiving donations: (805) 553-4976 or

[Back to top]


Setting up or changing your club's trust account

The Ventura County Community College District must account for all spending done by student organizations that have been formally recognized by the Associated Students of Moorpark College. This is managed through the set-up of a trust account. Each official club can set up a trust account, which allows them to receive and deposit funding which they can spend on things like conferences, prizes, food, and other items. The following paperwork demonstrates how to use or update a trust account:

[Back to top]


Petty cash processing

Student organizations can withdraw up to $200 (max) in petty cash to cover minor out-of-pocket advances or reimbursements. Examples of appropriate purchases might include snacks for a club meeting or small materials for a club activity. Petty cash fund are not to be used to purchase equipment, pay for repairs, materials or supplies for building repairs or ground improvements, travel, or personal check cashing. (Please first read the petty cash guidelines for more information.)

To access petty cash from a club's account, a student or advisor listed on the club's trust account signature form (see above section) should complete a Requisition form requesting the funds. Only hard-copy Requisition forms may be submitted. Clubs may pick up a Requisition form at the Student Activities Office (located in the MC Campus Center), or from Fiscal Services (located in the Administration Building).

Once the petty cash form has been signed by all necessary signatories (one club officer, one advisor, the Student Activities Specialist, and the Division Dean), the petty cash requisition form can then be taken to the Student Business Office (SBO) to retrieve the funds. All unspent cash must be resubmitted to the SBO with original receipts and a list of attendees from the meeting or event in which the petty cash was used within 10 days of the activity. Clubs may only have one petty cash requisition form active at a time and cannot submit a new form until the previous one has been reconciled with SBO. Please contact with any questions.

[Back to top]


Purchasing things or receiving advance checks

Other purchases or expenses that do not fit the petty cash guidelines must be paid through either a purchase order or advance check. Making a purchase order or requesting an advance check starts with the submission of a Requisition form. Only hard-copy Requisition forms may be submitted. Clubs may pick up a Requisition form at the Student Activities Office (located in the MC Campus Center), or from Fiscal Services (located in the Administration Building). 

Renting equipment, paying for services, or providing honorariums to speakers, or ordering items for your organization can take at least three weeks to process. Please plan accordingly. Requisition forms for any payment processing will not be accepted if they are not received at least three weeks in advance of the date the event is taking place or the item is needed. The Ventura County Community College District has thousands of preferred vendors for a variety of goods and services, but if a club wishes to use a vendor not listed in the VCCCD database, the vendor will need to submit a New Vendor Creation Packet. Adding a new vendor to the database can take up to 2 weeks. This is on top of the 2-3 weeks it can take for a purchase order to be processed by Moorpark College and the District Administration Center. Please plan accordingly.

[Back to top]


Filming on campus

Students, faculty, staff, or local community members must submit an application for approval before conducting any filming or commercial photography on the Moorpark College campus. Please select the appropriate filming permit from the two options below, and submit the completed form to the Moorpark College Business Services Office, located in the Administration Building.

[Back to top]


Creating or renewing a student organization

All active student organizations who wish to continue their operations into the next academic year must renew their club's paperwork with the Student Activities Office by the end of the current academic year. Hard-copies of the required paperwork are available in the Student Activities Office, with electronic versions provided in this section. Required renewal paperwork must be submitted to the Student Activities Office by Friday, June 1, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.

Student organizations applying for renewal must submit the following four (4) documents:

Students looking to create a new organization must submit the following five (5) documents:

Student organizations that have been inactive for over two (2) years and wish to become active again must go through the same steps as those students forming a new organization.

[Back to top]


Additional resources for student organizations

Here are some additional resources that student organizations may find useful:

  • Canva: Canva is an online platform that allows for the creation of designs for web or print, including blog graphics, presentations, Facebook covers, flyers, posters, invitations, and much more--all for free! Get started at

  • SurveyMonkey: SurveyMonkey provides free online questionnaire and survey software. Visit to get started.

  • Doodle: This online software simplifies the process of scheduling meetings and events. Check it out at

  • MailChimp: MailChimp is an email marketing platform that allows people to create beautiful email campaigns for free. Start creating yours at

  • Google Docs: Google docs allows for the creation and editing of web-based documents, spreadsheets, and presentations. These documents can be stored online and accessed from any computer. Visit to learn how to use this free resource.

  • Transcript Addition form: Did you know that your official Moorpark College transcripts can include notes about your student organization involvement? Download the Transcript Addition form and submit it to the Student Activities Office.

[Back to top]