The Honors Program is an adventure! It is a fun and exciting intellectual journey that challenges students to be creative, curious and reflective. You will extend your knowledge, exercise your mind, further your talents, and open up to new ideas. Honors students take on leadership roles, and are part of a team of motivated learners. They work closely with each other and their instructors to explore and research a variety of subjects and special topics in unique ways. There are multiple opportunities to make connections and receive mentoring from distinguished staff and faculty. Those who complete the Program are most likely to stand out and make a positive difference in their higher education.
The Honors Program aims to:
• provide novel learning experiences for high achieving students who are committed to excellence;
• promote critical reading, writing and thinking as necessary tools for continued academic success; and
• prepare students for transfer to four-year institutions.
- Submit an application electronically. To apply electronically, click here.
- Submit your transcript(s) to Admissions and Records. It may take up two weeks after Admissions and Records gets your transcript for the Coordinator to process your application. (Note: An official high school transcript is required, if you graduated June of the current year.) You must submit official transcripts of all other institutions of higher education you have attended. Admission is based on:
- High school GPA of 3.25 OR
- College G.P.A. of 3.00 with 12 units of transferable college- level courses.
- Attendance at mandatory Honors orientation.
- Attend mandatory Honors Orientation: The times and days of the orientations can be found in the provisional acceptance letter that will be emailed to you upon review of your transcript or by emailing Lee Ballestero at email@example.com.
- Complete a minimum of 15 units in Honors courses in at least three different disciplines.
- At least three (3) Honors courses must be completed at Moorpark College.
- Meet with a Counselor once per semester.
- Maintain membership in the Honors Program for a minimum of two semesters.
- Participate in, or attend four (4) extracurricular cultural or scholarly activities.
- Maintain an overall college G.P.A. of 3.25 and an average G.P.A. of 3.25 in Honors courses with a minimum of ‘C' in each Honors course.
- Complete a minimum of 9 units of Honors course work, with a minimum G.P.A. of 3.25, prior to the final semester at Moorpark College.
- Formally present one Honors project before an assembly of peers and faculty mentor/advisor/instructor(s) (e.g. MC Student Symposium, HTCC Research Conference).
- Maintain membership in the Honors Club while in the Honors Program.
- Have no record of academic misconduct.
- Submit an Honors Program Completion form , Record of Counselor Visit form, and forms documenting extracurricular activity during the final semester at Moorpark College.
Note: You are encouraged to regularly check this website and the MyVCCCD portal for updates and alerts.
Application | PLEASE NOTE: The application DEADLINE for those planning to graduate from the Honors Program in May 2018, is October 30, 2017.