Students who complete the Optical Technology program will be provided the essential knowledge and skills to fabricate, fit, and dispense eyeglasses and contact lenses in manufacturing, retail, and professional vision care settings.
The Optical Technology Program is a two year associate of science (AS) degree career preparation program. The program prepares students for the American Board of Opticianry (ABO) and National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) examination to be licensed as an Optician. Students must complete the prerequisites, core optical technology, and general education courses to earn the AS degree.
The two-year associate of science program combines lecture, on-campus laboratory, and off-campus clinical experiences. The off-campus clinical experiences include work-based learning at manufacturing labs, retail optical centers, and private optometry or ophthalmic practices. Clinical site locations can range between North Hollywood to western Ventura County.
Dr. Carol Higashida (805) 378-1459
Christina Lee, Phone (805) 378-1433
M. Ruby Garcia
Save the Date
Mandatory New Student Orientation - TBA
**Applications will be accepted starting May 1, 2020 - May 31, 2020**
Note: Prerequisites will be waived for the 2020 applicants, but must be completed to graduate.
Application form can be found under the Forms section of this website.
Applications to the Optical Technology Program are accepted once every other year:
- Monday-Thursday 8:00 am-5:00 pm ONLY
- Applications are NOT received on Fridays
Submission of your applications can be done by doing one of the following:
- Hand deliver to the Department Office in Health Science Center (HSC) 120 or
- Mail your application to be received by 12:00 noon on May 31th to
Health Sciences Department
7075 Campus Road
Moorpark, Ca 93021
It is highly recommended that applicants hand deliver their applications to the Health Sciences Department Office in HSC 120. If the application due date falls on a weekend or a holiday, the application will be due in the Health Sciences Department (HSC 120) by 12:00 noon on the next business day.
Please make sure to include the following items:
- Completed Optical Technology Program Application
- ALL official (sealed) transcripts from each college attended (including Moorpark, Oxnard and Ventura Colleges) (all courses taken for credit and no credit must be included even if not part of the major)
- Official Advanced Placement (AP) scores from College Board (if applicable)
**All paperwork must be placed in a 9x12 envelope, with your name clearly written on the outside.**