The Associated Students of
Please contact ASMC Director of Academic Affairs Poon Yuwawanit with any questions you have about the ASMC Nascent Leaders Scholarship: ASMCAcademicAffairs@vcccd.edu. You can also contact Maria Perez-Medeiros of the MC Scholarships Office if you have questions about the application process (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Moorpark College (MC) students are encouraged to apply for this scholarship if they:
- Have completed at least 12 units at MC over the course of the last two semesters and be currently enrolled in a minimum of 12 units at MC for Spring 2020;
- Have earned a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 or higher at MC;
- Have made a positive difference in their communities through leadership, campus involvement, or local civic engagement.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to completing the Nascent Leaders Scholarship application (hard-copies available in person at the MC Scholarships Office, located in Fountain Hall, or at the Student Activities Office in the Campus Center), interested students are also asked to include the following four (4) required documents (student's name should be removed from documents and instead replaced with 900- number; do not staple application items together since they must be scanned):
- A short response (500-750 words) to the following prompt: "The Associated Students of Moorpark College Board of Directors demonstrate leadership by advocating for students, organizing events that foster campus life, and serving as liaisons between the student body and college administration. Describe how you act as a leader in our own life, and/or how you have demonstrated the development of leadership skills through personal experience." Applicants are encouraged to include specific, recent examples of their on- or off-campus leadership.
- A copy of your resume. Your resume should be no more than two pages in length, and it should include any participation in leadership opportunities, achievements or special distinctions, and professional or volunteer experience you have accumulated while attending Moorpark College.
- One letter of recommendation. The letter should be from someone who is prepared to speak to your potential as an emerging leader. Examples of appropriate recommenders include MC faculty or staff, a current or previous employer, a volunteer supervisor, or an athletics coach, among others.
- One copy of your current, unofficial transcript. Unofficial transcripts are available to students with ID through the Moorpark College Admissions & Records Office, which is located on the 1st floor of Fountain Hall. Course information downloaded from DegreeWorks will not be accepted.
Applicants who fail to include any of the aforementioned documents will be disqualified for consideration.
The Nascent Leaders Scholarship application is due in hard-copy form to the Scholarship Office by Friday, March 6, 2020 at 12:00 p.m. Additional information about this or other scholarship opportunities is available in the Scholarships Office, located on the 2nd floor of Fountain Hall, next to the Financial Aid Office.
Only hard-copy applications are accepted at this time. Students can download and fill out the application form here, or pick up hard-copies from the Scholarship Office or the Student Activities Office.