Writing tutors available by appointment via Zoom.
Same day appointments are often possible. Sign up now.
To make a 45 min appointment with a tutor,
visit our scheduling site.
Writing Center policies:
- Arrive 5 minutes early to sign in.
- Sessions are 45 minutes.
- Students are limited to 1 session per day.
- Students are limited to 2 appointments per week.
- Students may request up to 12 appointments per semester.
- A Writing Center Session Report will be sent to your instructor.
- If a student arrives more than 10 minutes late, the appointment can be given to a drop-by student.
When you come in for an appointment:
• Identify a goal for your consultation/tutoring session.
• Bring your instructor's assignment guidelines (if working on a specific assignment)
• Remember that the consultant's/tutor’s goal is to help a student gain a greater understanding of writing or reading comprehension concepts and skills. The consultant is not permitted to edit (i.e. fix) a student's paper for the student or to complete homework for the student.
Individual Consultations (Tutoring)
The Writing Center has consultants available to work with students one-on-one on writing and study skills. These personalized consultations (i.e. tutoring sessions) are available to all currently enrolled Moorpark College students at no charge (see COL MO5 below).
Writing Center consultants will help students improve writing skills for courses across the curriculum (ex. English, Philosophy, Science, History, etc.), as well as for personal development or higher educational goals (ex. transfer/admission essays).
While appointments are often assignment driven, we recommend students come in as soon as they become aware of their writing or study/reading needs. The Writing Center consultants can help students discover ways to identify and clarify ideas, refine a topic, outline or map ideas, and develop the skills needed to work independently.
When sending a paper/essay, please provide the following required information:
- Your name and your student ID number
- Faculty email
- The name of the course and the professor's name
- The type of assignment (examples: narrative essay, research paper, critique etc.)
- Any directions from the instructor about the requirements of the assignment (examples: 5 pages, MLA citation, use classical argument etc.)
- What concerns you might have or your questions about the paper
A consultant will provide brief comments and guiding questions on the essays in order to help students better understand their own grammatical needs and to pinpoint the areas within the writing that may need clarification. The Writing Center responds only ONE TIME per paper.
Please use MS Word if attaching a paper.