Need Help on that Personal Statement for your Transfer Application?
Come to a Personal Statement Workshop (50 min. sessions) at the Writing Center, in LLR 318
- Explore the myths vs. the realities of the application essay
- Understand expectations for content
- Review topic prompts
- Brainstorm and develop ideas for essay
- Read sample essays and discuss strengths and weaknesses
- Learn how to integrate these strategies into your essay:
- Be honest – even if it hurts.
- Be descriptive:
- Use concrete language
- Use active voice
- Show don’t tell: Write the story—the experience–that reveals YOU.
- If writing about something challenging in your life, show how you are overcoming or have resolved problems.
Expectations and Brainstorming
Developing and Revising
Wednesday, Oct. 28 at 3pm
Thursday, Oct. 29 at 12 pm
Friday, Nov. 6 at 10 am
Tuesday, Nov. 10 at 2 pm
Wednesday, Nov. 11 at 3 pm
Friday, Nov. 13, at 10 am
Tuesday Nov. 24, at 10 am
Come to one or more workshops. Workshops are 50 minutes. Students are also welcome to book individual tutoring appointments to work on personal statements at moorparkcollege.edu/writingcenter