Need Help on that Personal Statement for your Transfer Application?
Come to a Transfer Essay Workshop Series at the Writing Center in LLR 318
- Explore the myths vs. the realities of the application essay
- Understand expectations for content
- Review topic prompts
- Brainstorm and develop ideas for essay
- Read sample essays and discuss strengths and weaknesses
- Learn how to integrate these strategies into your essay:
- Be honest– even if it hurts.
- Be descriptive:
- Use concrete language
- Use active voice
- Show don’t tell: Write the story—the experience– that reveals YOU.
- If writing about something challenging in your life, show how you are overcoming or have resolved problems.
Expectations and Brainstorming
Developing and Revising
|Tuesday, Sept. 30 at 10 am||Tuesday, Oct. 14 at 10 am||Friday, Nov. 14, at 10 am|
|Wednesday, Oct. 1 at 3 pm||Wednesday, Oct. 15 at 3 pm||Tuesday Nov. 25, at 10 am|
|Thursday, Oct. 2 at 12 pm||Friday, Oct. 17 at 10am|
|Tuesday, Oct. 28 at 2 pm||Friday, Nov. 7 at 10 am|
|Wednesday, Oct. 29 at 3 pm||Tuesday, Nov. 11 at 2pm|
|Thursday, Oct. 30 at 12 pm||Wednesday, Nov. 12 at 3 pm|
Come to one or more workshops. Students are also welcome to book individual tutoring appointments to work on personal statements at moorparkcollege.edu/writingcenter