Need Help on that Personal Statement for your Transfer Application?
Come to a Personal Statement Workshop (50 min. sessions) at the Writing Center, in LLR 318
- Explore the myths vs. the realities of the application essay
- Understand expectations for content
- Review topic prompts
- Brainstorm and develop ideas for essay
- Read sample essays and discuss strengths and weaknesses
- Learn how to integrate these strategies into your essay:
- Be honest – even if it hurts.
- Be descriptive:
- Use concrete language
- Use active voice
- Show don’t tell: Write the story—the experience–that reveals YOU.
- If writing about something challenging in your life, show how you are overcoming or have resolved problems.
Expectations and Brainstorming
Developing and Revising
Wednesday, Feb. 3 at 12 pm
Thursday, Feb. 4 at 2 pm
Friday Feb. 19 at 10 am
Make an appointment with a tutor to develop and revise your personal statement
Friday, Feb. 25, at 10 am
Tues., March 1 at 12 pm
Monday, March 7 at 2pm
Come to one or more workshops. Workshops are 50 minutes. Students are also welcome to book individual tutoring appointments to work on personal statements at moorparkcollege.edu/writingcenter