The Honors Program is an adventure! It is a fun and exciting intellectual journey that challenges students to be creative, curious and reflective. You will extend your knowledge, exercise your mind, further your talents, and open up to new ideas. Honors students take on leadership roles, and are part of a team of motivated learners. They work closely with each other and their instructors to explore and research a variety of subjects and special topics in unique ways. There are multiple opportunities to make connections and receive mentoring from distinguished staff and faculty. Those who complete the Program are most likely to stand out and make a positive difference in their higher education.
The Honors Program aims to:
• provide novel learning experiences for high achieving students who are committed to excellence;
• promote critical reading, writing and thinking as necessary tools for continued academic success; and
• prepare students for transfer to four-year institutions.
- Submit an application electronically or by mail. Hard copy applications may be obtained in the Social Science Division Office in the Humanities Social Science building, Room HSS-217 or at the Transfer Center. To apply electronically, click here.
- Submit your transcript(s). (Note: An official high school transcript is required, if you graduated June of the current year.) An unofficial transcript may be submitted, if you completed a minimum of 12 transferable units from Moorpark College. You must submit official transcripts of all other institutions of higher education you have attended. Admission is based on:
- High school GPA of 3.25 OR
- College G.P.A. of 3.00 with 12 units of transferable college- level courses.
- Attendance at mandatory Honors orientation.
- Attend mandatory Honors Orientation - These are held the first Monday of every month during the Fall and Spring Semesters. Exceptions may be noted. Time and location of orientations can be obtained from the Social Science Division Office in HSS 217 or by emailing Cynthia Barnett at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete a minimum of 15 units in Honors courses in at least three different disciplines.
- At least three (3) Honors courses must have been completed at Moorpark College.
- Meet with a Counselor once per semester.
- Maintain membership in the Honors Program for a minimum of two semesters.
- Participate in at least two of the extra-curricular Honors activities offered each academic year.
- Maintain an overall college G.P.A. of 3.25 and an average G.P.A. of 3.25 in Honors courses with a minimum of ‘C' in each Honors course.
- Formally present one Honors project before an assembly of peers and faculty mentor/advisor/instructor(s) (e.g. MC Student Symposium, HTCC Research Conference).
- Maintain membership in the Honors Club while in the Honors Program.
- Submit an Honors Program Completion form , Record of Counselor Visit form, and forms documenting extracurricular activity by deadline posted on this website.
Note: You are encouraged to regularly check this website and the MyVCCCD portal for updates and alerts.
Application | Please Note: The application DEADLINE for those planning to graduate from the Honors Program in May 2015, is November 27, 2014.