Opportunities for Advanced Placement are based on available space. Possible candidates include Licensed Vocational Nurses, transfer nursing students from other accredited colleges, and readmission applicants. Candidates must schedule an appointment with the Nursing Counselor and complete the application for Advanced Placement. All Advanced Placement applicants must meet the ADN program prerequisites and course requirements including an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher and a grade of C or better in English, math, and science prerequisites. As with the ADN applicants, the science prerequisites must have been taken within seven years of application to the program. Graduate nurses lacking California licensure requirements may be admitted as Advanced Placement students; they may not take single courses.
Advanced Placement is defined as acceptance into the second or third semester of the nursing program at Moorpark College. Applicants are not accepted into the fourth semester. The only exception would be a student who withdrew from the Moorpark College Nursing Program in good standing due to extenuating circumstances and returned within 1 year.
Advanced Placement Application Period
- For Spring Semester: August 1st - August 31st by 12:00 noon in the Health Sciences Department Office
- For Fall Semester: January 6th - January 31st by 12:00 noon in the Health Sciences Department Office
It is recommended that applicants hand deliver their applications to the Health Sciences Department Office in HSC 120 during the above application periods. If the application due date falls on a weekend or a holiday, the application will be due in the Health Sciences Department Office by 12:00 noon on the next business day.
Application period - Applications must be received by 12:00 noon on the due date in the Health Sciences Department Office - HSC 120
- August 1st - August 31st
- January 6th - January 31st
Save the Dates
***Note you must have a valid vcccd.edu e-mail address to receive the invitation***
TEAS V - Only qualified applicants will be invited via e-mail to take the TEAS V exam
- September 26th, October 3rd & October 10th - For August 2014 application period
- February 27th, March 6th & March 13th - For January 2015 application period
PN Comprehensive Predictor if you are a Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN)
- October 10th - For August 2014 application period
- March 20th - For January 2015 application period
The Admission Process
Prior to submitting your application, it is recommended you make an appointment with the Health Sciences Counselor. Submit a complete application with supporting documentation (ALL official sealed transcripts, letters of recommendation, TEAS V, or PN Comprehensive Predictor test scores), to the Health Sciences Department (HSC 120). The following items must be submitted with your application in order for it to be considered complete:
- Advanced Placement application
- ALL official (SEALED) transcripts from all colleges attended, including Moorpark, Oxnard and Ventura Colleges (all courses taken for credit and no credit must be included even if not part of the major)
- ALL official (SEALED) transcripts from high school or GED if no degree is held by applicant
- ALLcourse descriptions from the specific college catalog where the course was taken (prerequisites only) if outside the Ventura County Community College District. Please print the actual page from the college catalog of the semester and year you took the course. Do not cut and paste onto a word document. College catalogs can be found on each college's website.
- Personal letter from applicant requesting admission: Indicate which semester (second or third) the applicant wishes to be admitted to, explain applicant’s current situation and future goals, and outline any activities, remediation or work experiences completed to prepare for admission eligibility. Letter should be typed and double spaced.
Licensed Vocational Nurses must also submit:
- Copy of current LVN license
- ALL official (SEALED) transcripts from LVN school
- Resume indicating work experience
- Two letters of recommendation on official letterhead: One from the applicant's current employer and one from the nursing school director and/or nursing faculty of the vocational nursing program from which the applicant graduated.
- PN Comprehensive Predictor exam results, which must be taken at Moorpark College on the test date for that application period (by invitation only). Should an applicant re-apply for Advanced Placement, the PN Comprehensive Predictor exam results taken at Moorpark College are valid for 12 months.
Transfer students from other nursing schools must also submit:
- Course syllabi and college catalog from previous nursing school
- Two letters of recommendation from nursing school faculty and/or nursing director on official letterhead
- TEAS V exam, which must be taken prior to the final test date of that application period. The exam also must be taken no more than twelve months prior to the application date. If taken at a site other than Moorpark College, the test results must be electronically submitted to Moorpark College via the ATI website.
Readmission applicants must also submit:
- Two letters of recommendation from nursing school faculty on official letterhead
- Evidence of work or volunteer experience on official letterhead
- Transcripts showing completion of academic remediation
- TEAS V score; the TEAS V exam must be taken prior to the final test date of that application period.
Consideration for Acceptance as an Advanced Placement Student is Based on the Following:
- Completeness of application
- Licensed Vocational Nurse with a PN Comprehensive Predictor score above the national average
- Nursing transfer student in good standing with a TEAS V adjusted individual score > 62%
- Moorpark College ADN student who failed once with a TEAS V adjusted individual score > 62%
- Transfer student who failed once with a TEAS V adjusted individual score > 62%
- Number of General Education courses completed
- Nursing transfer applicants must have successfully completed with a grade of C or higher at least one semester or one nursing course (with a clinical laboratory) of an accredited nursing program. Each transfer applicant must submit course syllabi, college catalog, etc. to determine course placement.
- An applicant with previous Health Care Credentials may challenge test for the Nursing Science Course by taking a written and clinical competency test. For the requirements, please review the Credit by Examination Policy in the Academic Policies section of the Moorpark College catalog.
- If a Moorpark College student does not pass Nursing Science 1 or 1L, then the applicant must reapply to the program. The student in this circumstance would not be eligible for Advanced Placement.
Denial of Admission
- Space in a course may be limited due to clinical or educational restrictions.
- Applicants who have failed or withdrew failing from a Registered Nursing program, and whose overall record makes it unlikely she or he can successfully complete this program may be denied initial admission into Nursing Science 1/L and/or Advanced Placement admission.
- Transfer students who failed twice from a nursing program
- Applicants whose record indicates deficiencies in health and safety such that the applicant is considered a risk to patients, themselves, or others.
- If applicant does not receive a minimum of 50 points on the Advanced Placement ranking.
- Students with an Overall GPA <2.5, or Science GPA <2.0
- Incomplete prerequisites or incomplete Advanced Placement application
- Applicants with a success score of 55% or less
- Applicants with a TEAS V Adjusted Individual Total Score <62% will not be considered for Advanced Placement until the required remediation is completed. Once remediation is completed, the applicant must re-apply and show proof of completed remediation.
For Licensed Vocational Nurses Only
- Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVN) may be granted a maximum of two semesters or 18 units of required Nursing Science coursework, for credit only. If considering transferring to a four year college or university for a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN), please be aware of the institution's policy concerning transferring courses in the nursing major taken for credit, instead of a letter grade.
- 30 Unit Option: Additionally, the State of California provides a 30 Unit option for the LVN, which may not be recognized by other states and does not lead to an Associate Degree in Nursing. The 30 Unit Option must be declared in the application for Advance Placement. It is recommended that the applicant be a High School graduate or have successfully completed the General Education Development (GED) test; this is a requirement for the California State Board Examination as a 30 Unit Option Candidate: PHY 1 Human Physiology (5 units), Micro 1 Microbiology (5 units), NS3/L (10 units) and NS4/L (9 units). An LVN accepting the 30-unit option must meet with the program director and sign a waiver noting that he or she will not receive a college degree.
The PN Comprehensive Predictor (PNCP)
Licensed vocational nurses (LVN) wishing to apply to the Moorpark College Associate Degree Nursing Program are required to take the PN Comprehensive Predictor. The results from the PN Comprehensive Predictor are evaluated as part of the criteria for LVNs applying for Advanced Placement into the Moorpark College Associate Degree Nursing Program. To be valid for review by the Advanced Placement Committee, PN Comprehensive Predictor results may be no older than twelve months. Only licensed LVN's may take the assessment.
The PN Comprehensive Predictor is a 180-item test constructed by Assessment Technologies Institute, LLC (ATI) to be similar to the NCLEX-LPN. A brief description of the PN Comprehensive Predictor may be found on the ATI website (www.atitesting.com). An online practice version of the assessment is available for purchase from the ATI website. Studying a current NCLEX-LPN study guide may also be useful in preparing for the assessment.
The PN Comprehensive Predictor is offered each Fall and Spring. The testing dates are noted about under Save the Dates.