What is IGETC?

The Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is a series of courses that prospective transfer students attending California community colleges may complete to satisfy the lower-division breadth/General education requirements at both the University of California and the California State University.  

Who May Use IGETC?

The IGETC was developed by the Academic Senates of the CCC, UC and CSU for use by California Community College transfer students. A student may be IGETC certified if they have completed coursework at a California Community college(s) without regard to current enrollment status or number of units accrued at a CCC. 

Students who enroll at a UC or CSU campus, then leave and attend a community college, and subsequently return to a different UC or CSU campus may use the IGETC.

Completion of the IGETC will permit a student to transfer from a California Community college to a California State University (CSU) or University of California (UC) campus generally without the need, after transfer, to take additional lower-division, General education courses to satisfy campus General education requirements. It is strongly recommended that students complete IGETC prior to transfer. Advantages of completing IGETC include more flexibility in class selection at the university and timely progress to degree completion. All UC and CSU campuses will accept the completed IGETC to satisfy all lower division general education requirements. However, individual colleges or majors within a CSU or UC campus may not accept IGETC for meeting general education.  Refer to IGETC Considerations (page 81) section of the catalog for more information.

Note: Students transferring to a CSU with a completed IGETC will still need to complete 9 semester units of upper division general education and may be held to other campus specific graduation requirements outside of general education and major coursework.

Students who are NOT be eligible to use the IGETC

Students who initially enroll at a UC campus, then leave and attend a community college, and subsequently return to the same campus are considered "readmits" by the UC. Such students cannot use the IGETC. CSU does not have a system-wide policy that addresses this issue. Questions regarding the use of IGETC for a student who has recently been enrolled at a CSU should be directed to the specific campus the student wishes to attend.  

Which type of student should follow the IGETC

IGETC is most helpful to students who want to keep their options open - specifically, those who know they want to transfer but haven't yet decided upon a particular institution, campus or major.

Which type of student should not follow the IGETC?

Certain students, however, will not be well served by following IGETC. Students who intend to transfer into majors that require extensive lower-division preparation, such as engineering or the physical and natural sciences, should concentrate on completing the many prerequisites for the major that the college screens for to determine eligibility for admission.

IGETC is NOT an Admission Requirement, but a Consideration

IGETC is not an admission requirement. Completing it does not guarantee admission to the campus or program of choice. However, completing the lower-division breadth/general education requirements - whether through IGETC or the campus-specific requirements - may be considered by the campus in selecting among qualified applicants.  


It is the student’s responsibility to request IGETC Certification in the Counseling Office. It is strongly recommended that students complete IGETC prior to transfer. Advantages of completing IGETC include more flexibility in class selection at the university and timely progress to degree completion. There is no limitation on the number of courses completed at other United States regionally accredited institutions that can be included in the IGETC certification.

Partial IGETC Certification

Partial certification is defined as completing all but two (2) courses on the IGETC pattern. Each UC or CSU campus will inform a student that has submitted a partial certification of IGETC of the specific timelines and courses needed to complete the IGETC. The UC or CSU is responsible for verifying that the missing IGETC course(s) has been completed. Students may complete the missing course(s) at a California Community college or other U.S. regionally accredited institution approved by the CSU or UC campus of attendance either during the summer or while concurrently enrolled depending on the concurrent enrollment rules at their CSU or UC campus. Note: Deficiencies in IGETC Areas 1 and/or 2 may indicate a student does not meet minimum transfer admission requirements.

Who Certifies the IGETC?

Students who have completed coursework at more than one California Community College (CCC) should have their coursework certified by the last California Community College they attended for a regular term (fall or spring for semester schools; fall, winter, or spring for quarter schools) prior to transfer. If a student requests certification from a California Community College that is not the last school of attendance, it is at the discretion of that community college to certify. IGETC certification will be processed without regard to current enrollment status or number of units accrued at a particular CCC.

Minimum Grade Requirements

A minimum “C” grade is required in each college course for IGETC. A “C” is defined as a minimum of 2.0 grade points on a 4.0 scale. Courses in which a student receives a “Pass/Credit” grade may be certified for IGETC if the community college’s policy states that a “Pass/Credit” designation is equivalent to a “C” grade or better at the institution where the course was taken.

NOTE: the UC system allows a maximum of 14 semester units graded on a “Pass/No Pass” (Credit/No Credit) basis of the 60 transferable units required for admission. In addition, some UC or CSU campuses may have limitations on Pass/No pass courses that may be used to meet degree requirements.

Minimum Unit Value

A course must have a minimum unit value of 3 semester or 4 quarter units to meet the requirements for IGETC. It is not acceptable to take three 1 unit courses to fulfill a 3 unit requirement because of the lack of depth or rigor.

Exception: 3-quarter unit Math and English courses that satisfy IGETC Area/s 1A or 2 may be applied if they are a part of a sequence, and at least two of the 3-quarter unit sequence courses have each been completed with “C” grade (2.0 on a 4.0 scale) or higher. The course sequence must meet the rigor of IGETC.

CSU U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals Requirement

The CSU U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals graduation requirement is not part of IGETC. Courses used to satisfy this requirement may also be listed in IGETC Subject Areas 3B and/or 4. CSU campuses have the discretion whether to allow courses used to satisfy the CSU U.S. History, Constitution, and American Ideals graduation requirement to also count in Areas 3B/4.

Coursework from Another California Community College

Coursework completed at another California Community College should be applied to the subject area in which it is listed by the institution where the work was completed. In addition, the course must have been IGETC approved in the area it was taken at the time it was taken. Approval dates can be verified by consulting the website Courses with an approval date of fall 1991 may be applied to the IGETC if completed prior to fall 1991. Courses approved after fall 1991 may only be applied if completed on or after the approval date.

Non-California Community College Courses

Appropriate non-CCC general education courses in the humanities, mathematics, social sciences, and natural sciences that are completed at United States regionally accredited institutions should be routinely included in IGETC. However, care should be taken to carefully scrutinize course outlines for content, prerequisites, texts, units, and IGETC Area Standards (See Section 10.0 for Standards).

Particular care should be taken when evaluating non-CCC courses to fulfill IGETC Area 1B, Critical Thinking and Composition. Few non-CCC second semester English Composition courses offer a course in Critical Thinking/English Composition. Guidelines to determine if a course is appropriate can be found in Section 10.1.2b of the IGETC Standards.

Coursework from all Other United States Regionally Accredited Institutions

Coursework from all other United States regionally accredited institutions should be deemed by the CCC faculty in the discipline or their designee to be comparable to coursework on that community college’s approved IGETC course list before it is allowed to fulfill IGETC requirements. The course should then be used in the same subject areas as those for the community College completing the certification. Upper division work may also be used in limited circumstances. See IGETC standards 5.2.2 for criteria.

Foreign Coursework

Foreign coursework may be applied to IGETC if the foreign institution has United States regional accreditation. All other foreign coursework cannot be applied to IGETC with the exception of Area 6, Language Other Than English (LOTE), these can be from non-United States institution. Students with a substantial amount of foreign coursework at a non-United States regionally accredited institution should be encouraged to follow the CSU or UC campus specific general education pattern.

Coursework Taught in a language Other Than English

United States regionally accredited coursework taught in a language other than English may be used on IGETC. However, course outlines must be submitted for review in English. Exception: Courses in the area of written communication/critical thinking and oral communication must be delivered in English. (IGETC Area 1)

Online/Distance education/Telecourses

CCC Courses

California Community Colleges may use online/distance education/telecourses for IGETC provided that the courses have been approved by the CSU and UC during the IGETC review process. Strictly online Oral Communication courses may not be used on IGETC Area 1C (CSU only).  Hybrid-delivery courses may meet the area criteria - see IGETC standards 10.1.3a for criteria

Non-CCC Courses

Non-CCC Institutions online/distance education/telecourses may be used on IGETC. The same scrutiny should be applied when reviewing these courses as when reviewing other non-CCC courses. (See Section 5.2 of IGETC Standards for guidelines).

Area 1C: Oral Communication (CSU Only)   

Strictly online Oral Communication courses may not be used on IGETC Area 1C (CSU Only).  However, hybrid-delivery courses may meet the area criteria.

Credit by external exams

There is no limit on the number of external exams that can be applied to IGETC. Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate exams can provide IGETC credit as listed on the AP and IB GE charts included in this catalog. CLEP (college Level Examination Program) cannot be used on IGETC. Students who have earned credit from an external exam should not take a comparable college course because transfer credit will not be granted for both. Credit by exam is acceptable provided that a United States regionally accredited college or university transcript specifies the course title, unit value, and grade. A “Credit/Pass” designation is acceptable provided that the institution’s policy states that a “Credit/Pass” designation is equivalent to a “C” grade (2.0 grade points on a 4.0 grade scale) or better.  The course must be deemed comparable by the CCC faculty in the discipline or its designee as defined in IGETC standards Section 5.2

IGETC Considerations

If you have completed substantial coursework from institutions outside the United States, consult a counselor to determine whether you should complete IGETC or the lower-division breadth/general education requirements at the campus you plan to attend.  In addition, some transfer students in some colleges or majors must follow a more prescribed lower-division curriculum than IGETC allows.  These are described below, but be sure to check with a counselor, the college and/or visit the ASSIST website to obtain the most up-to-date information.

Berkeley: IGETC is acceptable for all majors in the College of Environmental Design, College of Letters and Science, and the College of Natural Resources. Due to their extensive, prescribed major prerequisites, the Haas School of Business and the Colleges of Chemistry and Engineering the IGETC is not accepted in these colleges.

Davis: All undergraduate colleges accept IGETC.  However, Bachelor of Science degrees and high-unit majors often have many courses of lower-division preparation; in these cases, the IGETC is not recommended and the UC Davis general education pattern is the better choice.

Irvine: All schools accept IGETC. However, selection by the campus is based on demonstrated academic achievement and preparation for the intended major. 

Los Angeles: All Schools accept IGETC except the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Merced: IGETC is not recommended for the School of Engineering and School of Natural Sciences. However, IGETC is recommended for the School of Social Sciences, Humanities, and Arts and students are encouraged to complete as much lower-division major preparation as possible prior to transfer.

Riverside:  IGETC is required for the School of Business Administration, the Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering accepts the IGETC however some additional coursework may be required after enrollment. The College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences does not accept the IGETC. The IGETC is recommended for the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences.

San Diego: IGETC is accepted at john Muir, Earl Warren, Thurgood Marshall and Sixth Colleges.  IGETC is also accepted at the Eleanor Roosevelt and Revelle Colleges, however, some additional coursework may be required after enrollment.

Santa Barbara: The College of Letters and Science and the College of Creative Studies accept the IGETC.  The College of Engineering, students are encouraged to focus on major preparation rather than general education.  IGETC may be used to substitute for most general education requirements.  However, some additional coursework may be required after enrollment to complete the depth requirement if not satisfied during IGETC certification.

Santa Cruz: For majors in the physical and biological sciences or the jack Baskin School of Engineering, IGETC is not recommended.