1. What is IGETC?IGETC stands for Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum. The IGETC is a general education pattern in which California community college transfer students can use to fulfill lower-division general education requirements for either the CSU or UC system without the need, after transfer, to take additional lower-division general education requirements. Depending on the campus to which a student transfers, there may be additional non-GE lower-division graduation requirements to be met (i.e., foreign language, multi-cultural studies, American history) as well as upper division general education requirements.

2. Is IGETC an admission requirement?No. Completion of IGETC alone does not meet the admission requirements for either UC or CSU nor it is required for admission. In addition, completion of IGETC does not guarantee admission to a student’s campus of choice. However, completion of the IGETC may improve a transfer applicant’s chances for admission to a UC campus and/or program.

3. Is it advisable for all transfer students to follow IGETC?No. Some students may be better served by taking courses which fulfill the CSU General Education requirements or those of the UC campus or college to which they plan to transfer. IGETC will be most useful to students who want to keep their options open before making a final decision about transferring to a particular CSU or UC campus. Once a student has identified a major, it is important for the student to work toward fulfilling any required preparatory courses, particularly in professional or “high unit” majors that select applicants on the basis of satisfaction of lower division major requirements. We encourage you to discuss your transfer plan with a counselor to help you decide if following IGETC is the best option for you.

4. Must the entire IGETC pattern be completed prior to transfer?No. It is now possible to receive “partial certification” of IGETC, when all but two courses on the IGETC pattern have been completed. However, students should consider specific university admissions policies, which may require full IGETC certification or the completion of Areas 1 (English Communication) and 2 (Mathematical Concepts and Quantitative Reasoning). NOTE:UC Berkeley’s College of Letters & Science requires full certification of IGETC.

5. Can coursework taken at other institutions be used to certify a student’s completion of IGETC?Yes, courses taken at other regionally accredited institutions can be included in the IGETC however there are stipulations.Moorpark College (MC) will certify courses taken at other regionally accredited colleges and universities under the following conditions: MC will place courses taken at other California community colleges in the IGETC categories identified by the offering college. Courses must have been on that college’s IGETC list when the courses were taken. Courses taken at other colleges/universities may be used on IGETC only if they are evaluated and deemed as equivalent to courses on the IGETC list for MC or another California community college. NOTE: except for California community colleges, coursework from other institutions generally will not be used to fulfill the critical thinking/English composition requirement (Area 1B). In addition, foreign coursework cannot be part of a student’s IGETC certification. In order to have your previous school’s record evaluated for IGETC certification,schedule a counseling appointment and bring an unofficial or official transcript to your appointment. At the time you request IGETC certification, you will need to submit OFFICIAL transcripts to MC's Registration & Records Office or Counseling Office.

6. Can foreign coursework be applied to the IGETC?Yes. Foreign coursework may be applied to IGETC if the foreign institution has United States regional accreditation. All other foreign coursework can NOT be applied to IGETC. Students with substantial amount of foreign coursework at a non-US regionally accredited institution should be encouraged to follow the UC or CSU campus-specific general education pattern. Exception: foreign coursework completed at a non-US institution may be applied to meet the Language Other Than English (LOTE) area 6 of IGETC.

7. Will students be required to earn a minimum grade in all courses used for IGETC certification?Yes. Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in each course used for IGETC. A “C-” grade is not acceptable, except for high school courses used to satisfy the Language Other Than English (LOTE).

8. Can courses taken on a “pass/ no pass” or “credit/no credit” be used on IGETC?Yes, courses taken on a “pass/no pass” or “credit/no credit” basis may be used if the college catalog where the course was taken states that a “pass” or “credit” grade is equivalent to a “C” or better (MC has this policy). Students should be advised that the UC system allows a maximum of 14 semester units graded “pass/no pass” or “credit/no credit” basis of the 60 transferable semester units required for admission. There is no system-wide policy for CSU campuses. Each CSU campus has established its own policy on limitations of courses transferred with a grade of “pass” or “credit”, check with a counselor or the campus website.

9. Is there a minimum unit value per course?Yes. All courses must have a minimum unit value of 3 semester or 4 quarter units. When combining quarter and semester unit values within an IGETC area, units should be converted to either all quarter units or all semester units, whichever best meets the minimum unit requirement for that area. However, the conversion of units from semester to quarter for meeting minimum unit requirements may result in a student needing additional coursework to meet CSU graduation requirements.

10. Can a course be used both to satisfy an IGETC requirement and to fulfill a major requirement?Yes. Courses to be used to satisfy IGETC requirements may be double counted toward preparation for major requirements, except for individual CSU campus restrictions. See a counselor or campus website.

11. Can Advanced Placement (AP) scores be applied to IGETC?Yes. AP scores of 3, 4, or 5 can be applied to IGETC. However, the Critical Thinking/Composition area (1B) and Oral Communication (1C) cannot be cleared by an AP exam. Each AP exam may be applied to one (1) IGETC area as satisfying one course requirement, with the exception of LOTE. Students who have earned credit from an AP exam should not take a comparable college course because transfer credit will not be granted for both. Schedule an appointment with a counselor to discuss possible use of AP for IGETC.

12. Can International Baccalaureate (IB) exams be used to on IGETC?
Yes. A score of 5, 6 or 7 on Higher Level exams is required to grant credit for IGETC certification. An acceptable IB score for IGETC equates to either 3 semester or 4 quarter units for certification purposes. Schedule an appointment with a counselor to discuss how IB credits can be used on IGETC. Students who have earned credit from an IB exam should not take a comparable collegecourse because transfer credit will not be granted for both.

13. Can College Level Examination Program (CLEP) be used to on IGETC?
No. CLEP cannot be used on IGETC.

14. Can a course be used to satisfy more than one subject area?No. A single course may be used only once for IGETC. A course may be listed in more than one area, but it may be used to satisfy only one subject requirement. The only exception is Area 6 Language Other Than English.

15. Are there limitations or restrictions for the IGETC?Yes. A student who is initially enrolled at a UC and is returning to the same UC campus (after attending a community college) is considered a “readmit” and therefore cannot use the IGETC to meet lower-division general education requirements. However a student who initially enrolled at a UC, attended a community college and is returning to a different UC campus, may be able to use IGETC, but should check with a counselor or the campus they wish to attend. This restriction does not apply to students who have taken UC summer session or Extension classes only. Students initially enrolled at a CSU and then return to the same CSU campus (after attending a community college) should be directed to that campus for questions regarding the use of IGETC. (There is no CSU system-wide policy on this issue.)

16. Is certification of IGETC completion automatic?No. Students must schedule an appointment with a counselor and apply for IGETC certification.

IGETC Limitations or Restrictions

Some colleges or majors prefer that transfer students follow a more prescribed lower-division curriculum, as described below.

  • Berkeley: IGETC is acceptable for all majors in the College of Letters and Science. The colleges of Engineering, Environmental Design and Chemistry have extensive, prescribed major prerequisites and therefore IGETC is not appropriate preparation for majors in these colleges. Although IGETC satisfies breadth requirements for most majors in the College of Natural Resources, specific lower-division major requirements must still be satisfied. For more information, check with the college or visit the ASSIST website for more information.
  • Davis: IGETC works well for students planning for Bachelor of Arts majors with few units of lower-division preparation. Bachelor of Science degrees and high-unit majors often have many courses of lower-divisions preparation. In these cases, the UC Davis GE pattern is the best choice.
  • Irvine: All schools accept IGETC. However, selection by the campus is based on demonstrated academic achievement and preparation for the intended major.
  • Los Angeles: The Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science do not accept IGETC.
  • Merced: The School of Engineering and the School of Natural Sciences do not recommend IGETC.
  • Riverside: The Marlan and Rosemary Bourns College of Engineering (BCOE) accepts
    completion of IGETC as satisfying the majority of the college’s breadth requirement for transfer students. Some additional breadth coursework may be required after enrollment at Bourns. For more information, see the Bourns College of Engineering Breadth Requirements. The College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences does not accept IGETC, although courses taken to satisfy IGETC may be applied toward the college’s breadth pattern. The College of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
    accepts IGETC.
  • San Diego: IGETC is accepted by John Muir, Earl Warren, Sixth and Thurgood Marshall Colleges only. Students completing IGETC are welcomed at Eleanor Roosevelt and Revelle Colleges; however, they must fulfill the specific general education requirements of those colleges. At UCSD, all majors are available to students in each college, so students who choose IGETC will not be restricted in their choice of major as a result.
  • Santa Barbara: Students who transfer into the College of Letters and Science and the College of Creative Studies may use IGETC to substitute for general education requirements. Transfer students in the College of Engineering may also use IGETC to substitute for general education requirements. In addition to general education, all students in the College of Engineering are required to complete a depth requirement. Students who wish to satisfy the depth requirement prior to transfer must complete a yearlong sequence in the history of world civilization, history of Western civilization, history of the United States, history of Western philosophy or history of Western art. Students may want to choose courses for IGETC that will concurrently satisfy the depth requirement. Students may also complete the depth requirement with upper division coursework after transferring. Please note: Students planning to transfer into a major in engineering, computer science or the biological or physical sciences must be careful to complete lower division major prerequisites to ensure competitiveness and make normal, timely progress through the major.
  • Santa Cruz: Transfer students intending to pursue any major in the physical and biological sciences or the Jack Baskin School of Engineering should not follow IGETC because it will not provide them with enough lower-division preparation for their majors.

resource obtained from: