Transfer Essay Scholarships will resume September 2021! Check back here for workshop dates and times!
Scholarship (and Common App too!) Personal Statement Workshops: Spring 2021--
Mondays and Tuesdays 1-3 pm
until Feb. 23
TRANSFER ESSAY WRITING WORKSHOPS:
EXTRA DATES JUST ADDED:
Tuesday, Dec. 1 from 11am-2pm and Thursday Dec. 3 from 2:30-5 pm
(Drop-in via Zoom--see workshop times below
Come to a Personal Statement Workshop at the Writing Center and get feedback and guidance writing the personal statement (for UC personal insight, commonapp, scholarships, and more)!
- Explore the myths vs. the realities of application essays
- Understand expectations for content
- Review topic prompts
- Brainstorm and develop ideas for essays
- Read sample essays and discuss strengths and weaknesses
- Learn how to integrate these strategies into your essays:
- Be honest – even if it hurts.
- Be descriptive:
- Use concrete language
- Use active voice
- Show don’t tell: Write the story—the experience–that reveals YOU.
- If writing about something challenging in your life, show how you are overcoming or have resolved problems.
- UC Personal Insight Questions: https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-transfer/personal-insight-questions.html
- View the presentation here!
Come to one or more workshops. Workshops are 2 hour blocks on zoom--drop in when you can! Students are also welcome to book individual tutoring appointments to work on question responses and personal statements at moorparkcollege.edu/writingcenter