Transfer Essay Resources and Workshops
(UC Personal Insight Questions and Common App Essays)
How to get started:
First, read the prompts and guidance from the university. Here is the link to the UC Personal Insight Questions:
Then, start brainstorming and drafting:
- Consider character traits you want to share that fit the prompt (s)
- Think about moments or periods of your life that illustrate those traits
- Tell a story about that moment or period that demonstrates that trait (brave, creative, inquisitive, compassionate, resourceful, etc.).
- Use first person voice ("I", "my", etc.)
- Describe the circumstance, how you engaged with it, and what you learned about yourself and the world from it (be sure to "show" not "tell" the trait you are showing off)
- Be specific and straightforward and answer the prompt
- pdf of infographic:
If you have trouble connecting to Tuesday 1-2 pm workshop, click on this link: https://vcccd-edu.zoom.us/j/6268704720?pwd=c0w0NUVHUXIvZVI5WVhWcWtXNUNSQT09
Scholarship (and Common App too!) Personal Statement Workshops: Spring 2021--
Mondays and Tuesdays 1-3 pm
until Feb. 23
Come to a Personal Statement Workshop at the Writing Center and get feedback and guidance writing the personal statement (for UC personal insight, commonapp, scholarships, and more)!
- Explore the myths vs. the realities of application essays
- Understand expectations for content
- Review topic prompts
- Brainstorm and develop ideas for essays
- Read sample essays and discuss strengths and weaknesses
- Learn how to integrate these strategies into your essays:
- Be honest – even if it hurts.
- Be descriptive:
- Use concrete language
- Use active voice
- Show don’t tell: Write the story—the experience–that reveals YOU.
- If writing about something challenging in your life, show how you are overcoming or have resolved problems.
- UC Personal Insight Questions: https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-transfer/personal-insight-questions.html
- View the presentation here!
Come to one or more workshops. Workshops are 2 hour blocks on zoom--drop in when you can! Students are also welcome to book individual tutoring appointments to work on question responses and personal statements at moorparkcollege.edu/writingcenter