The Honors Program is an adventure! It is a fun and exciting intellectual journey that challenges students to be creative, curious and reflective. You will extend your knowledge, exercise your mind, further your talents, and open up to new ideas. Honors students take on leadership roles, and are part of a team of motivated learners. They work closely with each other and their instructors to explore and research a variety of subjects and special topics in unique ways. There are multiple opportunities to make connections and receive mentoring from distinguished staff and faculty. Those who complete the Program are most likely to stand out and make a positive difference in their higher education.
The Honors Program aims to:
• provide novel learning experiences for high achieving students who are committed to excellence;
• promote critical reading, writing and thinking as necessary tools for continued academic success; and
• prepare students for transfer to four-year institutions.
- Submit an application electronically. To apply electronically, click here.
- Submit your transcript(s) to Admissions and Records. It may take up two weeks after Admissions and Records gets your transcript for the Coordinator to process your application. (Note: An official high school transcript is required, if you graduated June of the current year. Please do not fill out the application until you are ready to send your final high school transcripts as your application cannot be processed without them.) You must submit official transcripts of all other institutions of higher education you have attended. Admission is based on:
- High school GPA of 3.25 (unweighted) OR
- College G.P.A. of 3.00 with 12 units of transferable college- level courses.
- Attendance at mandatory Honors orientation.
- Attend mandatory Honors Orientation: The times and days of the orientations can be found in the provisional acceptance letter that will be emailed to you upon review of your transcript or by emailing Lee Ballestero at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete a minimum of 15 units of Honors courses in at least two different disciplines. A minimum 9 units must be completed at Moorpark College.
- Complete a minimum of 9 units of Honors course work, with a minimum GPA of 3.25, prior to the final semester at Moorpark College.
- Formally present one Honors project you have individually completed while at Moorpark College before a body of peers and faculty representatives (e.g. MC Student Poster Symposium, HTCC Research Conference).
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.25 in transferrable course work.
- Achieve an overall GPA of 3.25 in Honors course work.
- Earn at least a “C” in each Honors course. (a Pass/No Pass grade in an Honors course is not accepted toward Program requirements) While it is not required, we strongly recommend a GPA of 3.5 or greater. This will open more doors for you at the more competitive schools.
- Meet formally with a Counselor during a scheduled appointment once per semester. Counselor signature required (Call 805.378.1428 for appointments). Please use Record of Counselor Visits Form (link is to the left).
- Attend four (4) extracurricular activities (Extracurricular Event Form –link is to the left)
- Must give written permission for release of Code of Conduct record. WARNING: Honors students will receive automatic dismissal from the MC Honors Program if there is formal documentation of academic misconduct.
- If planning on a May Transfer/Graduation, you must begin the Honors Program no later than October 30th of the preceding year.
- Submit a “Program Completion Form” as notification of plan for Program exit (See link 'Exiting the Honors Program').
- Attend the Honors Exit Workshop (see 'Exiting the Honors Program').
(Revised April 2019)
Note: You are encouraged to regularly check this website and the MyVCCCD portal for updates and alerts.
Application | PLEASE NOTE: The application DEADLINE for those planning to graduate from the Honors Program in May 2020, is October 30, 2019. This means you must have completed or be registered in and complete at least 9 Honors units by the end of fall semester (see #2 above) and attend an orientation prior to the end of October.