Our tutors are available and eager to help you! To make a 45 min. appointment with a tutor for online tutoring, use the scheduling system at the "Make an Appointment" button above.
Feel free to also visit the Writing Center during Drop-in hours at LLR 3rd floor. You will need to follow the vcccd safety guidelines when coming to campus (check in via the vcccd app)
- Individual Tutoring
- Email Feedback
- Handouts on Essay Writing and Grammar
- Online Consultation via Net Tutor
- Directed learning activities
Writing Center policies:
- Arrive 5 minutes early to sign in.
- Sessions are 45 minutes.
- Students are limited to 1 session per day.
- Students are limited to 2 appointments per week.
- Students may request up to 12 appointments per semester.
- A Writing Center Session Report will be sent to you and your instructor.
- If a student arrives more than 10 minutes late, the appointment can be given to another student.
When you come in for an appointment:
- Identify a goal for your consultation/tutoring session.
- Bring your instructor's assignment guidelines (if working on a specific assignment) and use a google doc to share with tutor for online tutoring.
- Remember that the consultant's/tutor’s goal is to help a student gain a greater understanding of writing or reading comprehension concepts and skills. The consultant is not permitted to edit (i.e. fix) a student's paper for the student or to complete homework for the student.
The Writing Center tutors are available to work with students one-on-one to help with writing and study skills across the curriculum. These personalized tutoring session are available to all currently enrolled Moorpark College students (see COL MO5 below).
Writing Center tutors can help students improve writing skills for courses in a variety of disciplines (ex. English, Philosophy, Science, History etc), as well as for personal development or higher educational goals (ex. transfer/admission essays).
We recommend students come in as soon as they become aware of their writing or study/reading needs. The Writing Center tutors can help students with all stages of the writing process and with academic reading and study skills in order to support student success.
Students may send a question or an essay/paper to our e-mail at MCWritingCenter@vcccd.edu
When sending a paper/essay, please provide the following required information:
- Your name and your student ID number
- The name of the course and the professor's name
- The type of assignment (examples: narrative essay, research paper, critique etc)
- Any directions from the instructor about the requirements of the assignment (examples: 5 pages, MLA citation, use classical argument etc)
- What concerns you might have or your questions about the paper
A tutor will provide brief comments and guiding questions on the essays in order to help students better understand their own grammatical needs and to pinpoint the areas within the writing that may need clarification. The Writing Center responds only ONE TIME per paper!