Financial aid is awarded on the basis of financial need, except for some student loan programs.  When you apply for federal student aid, the information you report is calculated using a formula established by Congress.  The formula determines your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), an amount you and your family are expected to contribute toward your education (although this amount may not exactly match the amount you and your family end up contributing).  If your EFC is below a certain amount, you may be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, assuming you meet all other eligibility requirements. There is not a maximum EFC that defines eligibility for the other financial aid programs.  Instead, your EFC is used in the following equation to determine your financial need:

   Cost of Attendance (COA)
- Expected Family Contribution (EFC)
= Financial Need

We calculate your cost of attendance and subtract the amount you and your family are expected to contribute toward that cost.  If there is anything left over, you are considered to have financial need. A financial aid package is put together for you that comes as close as possible to meeting your financial need.  However, because funding is limited, the amount awarded to you may fall short of the amount of which you are eligible.  Also, in determining your need for aid we must first consider other educational resources you are expected to receive during the school year.

Ventura County Community College District

 Student College Budget (9 months)


Budget Components

With Parents,

Without Dependents

Off Campus

Out of State

Living Expenses




Miscellaneous Personal Expenses




Enrollment Fees (Full-Time)




Out of State Tuition



Books, course materials, supplies, and equipment












Budgeted expenses are estimated for the purpose of calculating financial aid. Actual costs may vary by individual.

For more detailed Cost of Attendance information 


There are specific costs that may be considered as an adjustment to Cost of Attendance.  If this applies to you, submit the Budget Adjustment Form to the Financial Aid Office for review.  Examples of these cost adjustments may include:

Dependent care—An allowance based on the estimated actual expenses incurred for dependent care, based on the number and age of such dependents.

  • Such allowance must not exceed the reasonable cost in the community in which such student resides for the kind of care provided; and

  • The period for which dependent care is required includes, but is not limited to, class-time, study-time, field work, internships, and commuting time.

Disability-related expenses

An allowance, as determined by the institution, for expenses associated with a student’s disability, including special services, personal assistance, transportation, equipment, and supplies that are reasonably incurred and not provided for by other agencies.

Professional licensure, certification, or a first professional credential

An allowance for the costs associated with obtaining a license, certification, or a first professional credential, for a student in a program that prepares them to enter a profession that requires such a qualification.

Cooperative education costs—An allowance for reasonable costs, as determined by the institution, associated with such employment for a student engaged in a work experience under a cooperative education program.

Study abroad expenses—An allowance for reasonable costs, as determined by the institution, for a student in a study abroad program approved for credit by the home institution.

Other Costs

Students may request cost adjustments based on documented expenses.  Requests must be submitted in writing to the Financial Aid Office along with the appropriate supporting documentation.  Please email the Financial Aid Office with any questions at