What is Verification?
Verification is a process to confirm the information you provided on FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or California Dream Act Application. This may be random or because application data was incomplete, estimated or inconsistent. The U.S. Department of Education or California Student Aid Commission selects some students for the verification process. Also, the financial aid office may need to verify data if there is conflicting information.
As part of the verification process, you will be asked to complete a verification worksheet and may have to submit an IRS tax transcript, W-2s and 1099s. If you are a dependent student, you may be required to provide your parent(s) IRS tax transcript, W-2s and 1099s.
How do I know if I am selected for Verification?
To view your aid status, as well as the forms required to complete verification, login to your my.vcccd.edu portal
- You will receive an email to the my.vcccd.edu email account with instructions to create an online account
- Select the Financial Aid tab at the top of the page and select the create online account link on the left
- After creating the online account and logging in you will see any forms to complete and submit online
We may also call you, text you, and send you emails telling you to complete verification. Please open and read all correspondence from us, then respond as soon as possible.
What information do I need to submit?
The documents you are required to submit vary based on the verification group you were selected for. The specific document requirements will appear in your online account.
Please NOTE: The financial aid office may accept signed copies of federal tax returns (1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as required by federal regulations only with proof you were unable or delayed to receive them from the IRS after attempting- contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your specific situation.
- You may use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to transfer tax information to your FAFSA, OR
- Request an IRS tax return transcript (students completing a CA Dream Act Application and selected for verification will not be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool).
- If you were not able to use the IRS retrieval Tool or changed the data that was transferred, we will need an IRS tax return transcript. We can no longer accept a copy of your tax return unless you filed a Puerto Rico or foreign tax return.
Is there a deadline to submit my paperwork?
Yes and no. All students selected for verification should submit their documents as early as possible to prevent delays and maximize their award package.
For the current academic year, priority deadline to complete your file was mid May. Files completed after mid May will be processed on a first-come, first served basis. Otherwise, students may continue submitting paperwork throughout the year with the understanding that no financial aid will be disbursed until all requirements are complete and thorough file review is completed by Financial Aid Office Staff.
How can I avoid processing delays?
We strongly recommend that you submit all documents as soon as possible.
Submit all documents, online or by postal mail, at the same time to:
Attn: Financial Aid Office
7075 Campus Rd
Moorpark, CA 93021
- Remember to make photocopies for your records.
- Print your name and 9-digit Student ID number on each page of the documents that you submit.
What happens after Verification is complete?
If the information reported on your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application is confirmed, the financial aid office can determine your eligibility for financial aid. We will notify you by email to check your financial aid eligibility on your MyVCCCD portal.
If we find conflicts between the data reported on your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application and the information that you submitted to the financial aid office, you may be required to submit additional documentation. You can monitor the status of additional information on your MyVCCCD portal. The financial aid office may also be making corrections to your FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application. A "Pending Corrections" document will be posted and cleared once we receive an accurate application. We will notify you by email to check your financial aid eligibility on your MyVCCCD portal.
What else should I know?
If you are eligible for student aid we will send an award notice to the my.vcccd.edu e-mail address on your portal. All document requests must be completed before any financial aid can be disbursed to your account.
Failure to submit all requested documentation will result in the forfeiture of your financial aid eligibility.