Q: What is CalWORKs Work-Study?

CalWORKs Work-Study (CWS) Program provides Moorpark College CalWORKs students with on-campus work opportunities in order to develop and/or strengthen workplace skills while completing their educational goals. With the help of dedicated on-campus employers, students learn how to enter and re-enter the workforce with the confidence that is needed to achieve career satisfaction and economic self-sufficiency. Work-Study is a time-limited program and allows students to earn money that will not be deducted from their cash aid.

Q: How do I know if I'm Eligible?

To be eligible for College CalWORKs Work-Study Program, a student must:
  • Be enrolled at Moorpark College and be in good standing with the college
  • Be receiving the adult portion of cash aid and provide proof of cash aid (TANF) from the County
  • Be participating in the Counties Welfare-to-Work Program
  • Submit proof of cash aid for each new semester
  • Maintain the minimum 6 units each Spring and Fall semester and 3 units each Summer semester
  • Maintain a 2.0 G.P.A. for each semester
  • Meet with one of the College CalWORKs Counselors each new semester
  • Maintain contact with Work-Study Coordinator regarding the Work-Study position

Q: How is College CalWORKs Work-Study different from Federal Work-Study?

A: Both CalWORKs Work-Study and Federal Work-Study are available to the CalWORKs student. Federal Work-Study occurs on campus and is usually a student clerk position with a maximum per week. These positions usually end at the end of the semester or until the Federal Work-Study award is exhausted. You must qualify for Federal Financial Aid to participate in Federal Work Study. CalWORKs Work-Study can also occur on campus, but may occur off-campus with an area employer. CalWORKs Work-Study and FA work Study require students to maintain a 2.00 Grade Point Average and satisfactory progress (adhering to educational plan).

Q. How do I sign up?

Meet with the College CalWORKs counselor to begin the Work-Study process.